Important things to know about me:
- I'm a designer and Illustrator living just outside of Toronto,
- I'm vertically challenged.
- I'm overly fond of flowery adjectives.
- I'm married to my very best friend in the whole wide world full
stop. His name is John. It's not a tremendously original name, so I
like to fancy it up by adding inventive last names. Johnny Lunchbox and
Johnny Rocket are my current favourites.
- I married him for many reasons, but prime among them is the fact
that he is good at math, can reach all the stuff on the top shelves and
he has no back hair. And he thinks I'm adorable. I think he's smashing.
- I'm so incredibly attached to my dog, Finnegan Jane, that I'm
constantly stunned by the fact that she's a different species and not
in fact one of my furry-ier appendages.
- I work from home. It has its advantages.
- This is my second career. I used to write for a living (can you
believe it?) I was once a newspaper reporter. I thought it would be all
sexy, like All the President's Men. I thought I would one day end up
writing for Vanity Fair. It wasn't and I didn't.
- I am a horrific speller.
Important things to know about my dog:
- Her name is Finnegan Jane.
- She is named after a puppet from a Canadian children's show, Mr.
Dressup. It was my favorite show when I was little. I used to pretend to be sick just so I could stay home from school to watch it.
- My mom didn't think Finnegan was a very feminine name for a girl dog,
so we added the middle name Jane.
- But most the time we just call her Finn. Or one of her 98 nicknames.
- I should have named her Linus instead of Finnegan as all day long,
she totes about her red plaid blanket.
- or sometimes, shoes. Yeah, she's very big on the shoe thing.
- She can shred a stick in seconds flat.
- She is six years old.
- She does not like other dogs.
- She has never met a human being that she didn't adore.
- She is a flat-coated retriever.
- She's psychic.
- She's a lot smarter than me.
Yet more inane stuff:
- I love the smell of oranges. Sometimes, after I've peeled an orange
(or clementine, manderine or tangerine) I rub the peel on the backs of
my hands so I smell all citrusy good.
- I like really spicy, sear-yer-tastebuds-off food.
- I make really awesome fajitas.
- I like to cook fancy stuff, but kinda suck at the day-to-day stuff.
- My first memory is of accidentally slamming a window shut on my
fingers. The window was the old-fashioned kind with the three circles
cut into the bottom of the frame. It had a view of the side of our
neighbour's house. It was a peachy pink colour. The neighbour's house,
that is. It hurt. A lot.
- I was barely two. For months afterwards, I described the incident to
anyone who woud listen like this "Winnow come down on finners, BOOM!
Owie! Owie! Owie... go to doctor's!" I'm slightly more eloquent now.
- Although not nearly as effective a storyteller.
- My dentist tells me I brush my teeth too hard.
- My favourite colour is green. Blue and green is my favourite colour
- My least favourite is purple. But I pretty much like all colours.
- I am Canadian. That's why I stick the letter "u" in words like
colour and favourite.
- That's also why I apologize a lot, whether I'm sorry or not.
- I don't say "eh". That may be because I'm also American. I have dual
citizenship. Groovy, huh?
- I like cake. I like soup too, but it makes my nose run.
- I once won an award for best handwriting. Grade five, I think. I won
a little trophy on a marble base. It was pretty nifty.
- I'm not good at team sports. Or any sports, really.
- I love fresh flowers. My favorites are tulips, I think. I love
orchids too. And fresia.
- I do not like carnations. I don't like red roses much either,
although all the other colours are nice and much appreciated.
- I'm desperately in love with most things New England, although I've
never been there.
- I love nature, but I'm not very outdoorsy. And I do NOT camp, thank
you very much.
- I cannot stand to have dirty hair.
- I would conduct all my daily affairs from the bathtub if I could.
- I'm just barely five feet tall, but I'm always surprised that I'm
not taller than you are.
- I'm double jointed in my fingers. I can make really scary claw
shapes with my fingers.
- I like to sing and do it often but I'm not good at it. Not. At. All.
- I do not knit.